Saturday, September 13, 2008

"This is the day"

"this is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it" (Psalm 118:24) Yesterday was one of those days were I just wanted to go back to bed pull the covers over my head and hope I would either wake up to an entirely different day with different circumstances or sleep the entire day away like it never happened.

My Gramps was diagnosed with lung cancer yesterday. I was at karate with the kids and my phone went dead but I had remembered to bring the charger so I plugged the phone in and not a minute later it rang I knew who was on the other end and what this call was about I had been waiting for it all day. I picked up hoping for the best and my hope and positive thinking was gone in an instant my mom was crying so hard I could barely hear her but I knew it wasn't the news I was hoping for. My eyes teared up immediately and all I could hear her say was "this is just like my mom, this is happening just like it happened to my mom". In an instant this enormous weight fell on my shoulders I kept thinking no no no this can't be, this can't be happening again please God no not again. Somehow God's grace filled me as quickly as the bad news I had heard left. Grace, it's amazing how it happens. This is the day the Lord had made right? He makes good days and bad both however are ways we can be in his grace and allow his love to embrace us. I heard God speak to my heart no regrets he said and immediately I said yes no regrets. I've loved my grandpa since day one and have been lucky enough to have the relationship with him that I tell him often how much I love him and how good he is to me. We have always been close, he sometimes is the first person I tell when something is going on. He knows everything about me the good the bad and the ugly as the saying goes. Grace and a deep breath got me through the rest of the day.
Today I went to a Women of Wisdom brunch and by God's mercy I was sent there it was all about tragedy, mercy, grace and love. The woman who spoke had lost her ten year old son two years ago. I cried through the whole entire thing, not only did her story resemble so much the day I lost my brother but it also helped me focus on what is happening right now. Cancer is bad yes but is it the end? not always and hopefully not for my grandpa. This is the day the lord has made...I will rejoice that God is giving this day, a day I can call him and laugh with him or just call him to tell him I love him, I will rejoice that today is an opportunity an opportunity to make this day wonderful. Sure God makes good days and bad ones he makes birthdays, anniversary days he makes everything each day good or bad is a day He has made for us. Please keep my grandpa in your prayers:)

2 comments:

Michaelene said...

Hello?? Where have you been? Thought the new camera was forthcoming your way -- no updates, no pics, no nothing!

Dawn said...

Hey Shiri -

I was very saddened to read about your Gramps. But your posting was beautiful "This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it" (Psalm 118:24). I think we get so wrapped up in other things and forget about that. It is SO true. How is he doing?? I will be keeping him and you and your family in my prayers.