Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Angel on isle 8

I think sometimes I get so caught up in my own life in my own world, with my own things and my own activities that I lose sight on what else is going on in the world. I have never thought of myself as being selfish but indeed I am. I don't get out of my way very often to call a friend or invite one to lunch. I tend to be the invited and not the one extending the invitation. I always say I have so much going on, the kids need this or have this or that going on. When I stop and realize what I've been doing I realize how often I isolate myself. I have to ask...do I isolate myself to protect myself and if so from what? What am I so afraid of? I know that if I am not careful I will land up pushing everyone away. So being the isolator I am, the self centered in my own world kinda gal I am I found God or should I say He found me. He found me the other day on check-out isle number 8. I am a God loving, Christian woman. I go to church regularly, work in the Sunday nursery, go to weekly bible studies, pray all the time, I look like a good Christian woman from the outside. But I have to wonder if I was such a good Christian woman would I still do all this isolating or would I feel good enough in every situation I find myself. I believe I would because I believe that I would love myself as much as my Father loves me. To prove His love for me He shook me to my very core at the very heart of my little world, the grocery store. Like I mentioned before I go to lots of bible studies and I have heard wonderful stories of everyday miracles happening to other people. Of course other people, things like that don't happen to me. I am nothing special. While having a usual day at our local down the street grocery store a young man in front of me was about to pay for his few groceries. He didn't have a club rewards card I overheard his conversation with the clerk and offered him mine. He looked at me in such surprise, really I thought no big deal. The clerk than offered him the brochure so he could get his own card he turned around and asked if that was ok and I said sure in fact great because I forgot something and while I ran back to get it he could fill out the card. He was new to the area and I told him how having a card would be better than using mine, he could earn discounts on gas and other things. So I ran back and grabbed the box of brown rice I had forgotten and when I came back he was just about done and handing the cashier his cash. Then I heard the woman say "are you sure, sir? He turned and gave me a huge smile and waived and walked out. He had handed the cashier money to help pay for my cart full of groceries. I at first said oh no I can't take it, but the young man was already out the door. My eyes filled with tears. The cashier was about as astounded as I was. The reason I had to share this is because later that day I posted this on face book and a friend of mine sent this back to me... "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it" Hebrews 13:2
He was indeed an angel, an angel sent by God to shake me up that day. To show me that I am special and good things do happen to me, I need to stop being so afraid and let life happen and let life in. He loves me and that is all that I need to be good enough, because if I am good enough and so loved by the Lord who gave his life for mine than I am good enough.

4 comments:

Gharrity Family de Santa Fe said...

I love this story Shiri! It is especially nice to see how much you have taken from this experience and enabled yourself to do some self-reflection. Yay!!

Michaelene said...

Shiri, you are one of the kindest, most unselfish, loving, generous people I know. You deserve, greatly, every wonderful gesture that comes your way. God was not shaking you up in your little world, he was reminding you that your kindness to strangers does not go unnoticed. You are not a selfish person, perhaps uneager to leave your comfort zone but this doesn't make you selfish. It makes you a mom and human in that you have to make arrangements for your children and try to get out without a whole bunch of drama =)
I didn't call you back the following day as I said I would, I completely forgot, shame on me! Let's do talk soon, I'm eager to hear how the changes are affecting Isaac's little body. Hopefully, in a very positive way!
Love to you all ... hope to see you very soon!

Beth in NC said...

That is so beautiful! I came over because I saw you had visited my blog today, but wow -- what an awesome gesture. You never know, he truly may have been an angel.

That is so precious!

God bless you!
Beth

Jolyn said...

Shiri, Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It truly made my day to read this. It always make me feel so good when I hear of such wonderful acts of kindness. Just pay it forward.
Lots of Love.