Thursday, August 27, 2009

Fun family recipe

You can't see them very well
but the kiddos have the chow mein
noodles hanging from their mouths
& you can see they loved the
recipe
rice first, layer on top
with chicken mixture
and top with desired toppings

I found myself in a huge rut with what to make for dinner the other night, so I hit up our local Sam's club in a desperate search for something new and delicious for dinner. I wound up in the magazine section when I noticed one in particular, it was a taste of home mag full of kid friendly recipes, I was excited because I have their cookbook and love it although some of their recipes are for more sophisticated palates. So if you are like me, making the same things over and over try this one out, it's yummy quick, kid friendly and with a few changes it's figure friendly as well.

Chicken in a haystack

1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
( I substituted the lower sodium, reduced fat kind)
2 cups cubed cooked chicken ( I cubed boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 4)
1/2 cup water
Hot cooked rice (I opted for brown rice here)

cook chicken, when thoroughly cooked add can of soup and water (or skim milk) then mix in veggies and cook through. Place cooked rice first then chicken mixture and top away.
You can top it with, cooked peas, raisins, pineapple tidbits, shredded cheddar cheese, chow mein noodles (you know the crunchy kind, Asian isle in the supermarket bottom shelf) or just about anything that's hanging out in your pantry ** I used 2% cheddar cheese, 1/2 bag frozen mixed veggies, and the chow mein noodles and brown rice, it was yummy I hope you enjoy it as well, have a wonderful thursday:)

No comments: