Friday, January 21, 2011

High Maintenance


Two years ago our beloved pug Sara, passed away. This was the first pet my husband and I had together. We always laughed at the way Sara joined our family. My husband and I had just gotten engaged and we went to the mall to go look for our wedding bands. I was completely overwhelmed at the selection and at that point didn't know much about diamonds or rings or even jewelry if I'm totally being honest. You see I was only eighteen ( my husband and I got married, three days after my 19th birthday). So feeling totally overwhelmed I told him that I needed to think about it and it would be a good idea to take a walk. Being that we were in Flagstaff and it was winter time we decided to just walk around the mall and see what stores there were, we were still pretty new to the area. So we walked past this tiny pet shop and I glanced in, as I usually would (see I'm not a big dog or cat person). And low and behold this sweet crinkly face ugly thing captured my heart. I turned right around and went in, and I was instantly in love with her, and had to have her. So that night my husband and I went home with a puppy instead of wedding rings. She was such a great dog, as we had kids she just became that much better, she would let them poke her and pull her curly tail, she never snapped or barked at them. She had the sweetest disposition about her, we couldn't have asked for a better dog. Well like I said two years ago, but now that I think about it this summer it will be three years ago our beloved Sara passed away, and I was just sick about it. Sick like I've never been before, I cried for days. I had people tell me that I needed to get a new dog right away but in my heart I new that no other dog could replace her, so I didn't and just began to move on. Well that's when someone decided that I needed a dog and gave me one, his name is Kingston, he's a three year old Yorkie. He and I share a love hate relationship, nothing like I had with Sara. He is super high maintenance and some days like today, he makes me crazy, and just when I think about giving him away he is the sweetest cutest thing ever. So is it that after a whole life of thinking I'm not a dog person I am, or is it I'm just a sucker for a cute face?

No comments: