Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What a Wednesday, and it's only noon

Today started off great, went to the gym, did my weekly weigh in ( I lost seven pounds so far!!). So at this point my confidence level is high, my chin is up, nothing in the world can beat me now kind of attitude. I get home, things are at this point still running smooth. I decided to shower and get ready, although didn't have to do much, we got to wear our workout clothes to bible study today ( I will get more into why in just a sec). We are just about out of the door and on time when Nicolas frantically runs into my room and lets me know he can't find his jacket and it's probably at the park we visited yesterday. I'm lacing up my sneaks thinking well that's just great, because I still have to find Isaac's shoes, run over to my mom's to pick something up, go find this lost jacket, and make it to school on time. That's it, well usually. I would've gone into panic mode at his very second even just a week ago. So we pile in the car, Isaac has on a pair of shoes two sizes two big, but oh well we are out the door, I'm in and out of my mom's house in under a minute and we dashed to the park to find Nicolas' jacket patiently waiting for him on the bench. We are cruising once again listening to great music, saying our morning prayers and low and behold we are even two minutes early to school. Yay me, I rock at this whole mom thing. I get to Isaac's preschool he goes into class nice and smooth and then finally, finally I get to focus on myself again just for a second and as I'm walking up the stairs to my bible study I realize I forgot my book, my pens, my pencils, my highlighter, my bible well everything! All of this brings me to my point, do you think as a culture of moms/parents we have allowed ourselves to get just too busy. I mean I just wouldn't feel right if my kids grew up and didn't know how to play an instrument, be a world class athlete, know a foreign language and have gained every sacrament a good child should. I sit in my bible study group and listen to all of these moms and realize how similar we all are, have we all just become too busy? (yet each time I take away such profound new ideas to try out on my kids). My question is are we too busy trying to raise what the world sees as good kids instead of raising really great kids, who know what a board game looks like instead of a video game, who can retell their favorite bedtime story, who play outside and get dirty but more importantly love God too? Am I the only one outside of my bible study group who feels such pressure to be so perfect, and for my kids to be so perfect? I mean would the world stop spinning if we didn't let our kids join every sport know to man? Would my husband still love me if my house wasn't always perfectly clean, and a gourmet meal waiting on the table, would he love me more if I was thinner. Would my kids be happy and content having more time at home, or more so do I even know how to do that in the first place? So I'm rambling I know, but with how busy our life is I tend to ramble and be a bit of a whirlwind because well that's what a busy life looks like, never have enough time to be fully present in the moment, in any moment. So the work out clothes, well toady's lesson was all about taking care of ourselves, I know long story for such a concise ending. I guess that's what it really is about though, how much time and energy that I spend on everyone else that my needs, wants and all are so limited. Well like I said it's only noon, so I think I will take a much needed nap, and enjoy some cuddle time with Isaac because of course don't you know, we have a very, very busy afternoon!

No comments: